Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Gear review: Nike Alvord 10

I picked up a pair of Nike Air Alvord 10 Running Shoes, because the trainers I've been racing in weren't cutting it, especially on the steep hills.

Initial Impressions
I broke them in on the Manitou Incline which consists of a 2,000 foot elevation ascent over a 1 mile distance, then a 4 mile downhill run. After that I ran them in the Muddy Buddy to a 3rd place finish, in the Devil Dash, the 2013 Spartan Military Sprint and the Rugged Maniac. All very different events, and all with great results.

I ran the Spartan last year in my trainers and this year in the Alvords. Also, last year, my trainers at Run For Your Lives and the Alvords at Rugged Maniac. While the last 2 are different events, they were at the same venue. So I have a couple of direct comparisons with the 2 different shoe types. The Alvords are miles above the trainers (also Nike, for what that's worth) when it comes to mud and steep hills.

The tread is equally at home plowing up and over slick mud mounds as well as running down steep gravely hills. They stay laced up and they breathe enough to let the water squish out. These shoes also have enough cushion to help with hard downhill pounding.

Post Spartan Military Sprint.


I have wide feet and bought a normal width pair, not knowing at the time that wide sizes were available. When I first put them on, they feel tight on the sides. They do stretch a bit with use, but getting repeatedly wet and drying in the sun makes them a little too tight when I first lace them up. If I could do it over again, I'd hold out for the wider version.
They do seem to run a little small in length as well, so if you are buying online, you might consider going a half size larger.

They clean up well and look none the worse for wear after a several obstacle races and training days. I'm generally happy with them and they are a decent shoe for the price. I'd consider them an entry level to trail running/obstacle racing shoes, and a good way to break into the sport without breaking the bank.

Pro tip: After a mud race, rinse your shoes liberally with a garden hose until the water runs clear, then hang them out to dry (I put mine on our deck's roof so the dogs won't be tempted to eat them). A washing machine seems to leave grit and using a clothes dryer can shrink the insoles.

Long term observations
Having had these shoes for a full season and a half, I've come to the conclusion that they have shrank. When I first bought them, they felt a little tight in the width, but as I mentioned above, I have wide feet. Now, some 10 races later, they are considerably uncomfortable in width and also length.

In may of this year, they were fine. By August I started noticing they seemed tighter than I remember. Now in October, they feel crushing, especially on my left foot where I have a bunion. As my dry wether shoes, that I've ran and trained in for the last 2 years, don't feel any different, I can only guess that the repeated soaking and drying has shrunk the Alvords. I had no foot or toe pain early this season, but now at the end it's gotten bad enough to wear I've lost a couple toenails, even after a relatively short sprint type obstacle race.

Conclusions
For the casual racer or dry only trail runner with normal or narrow feet, these are a decent shoe and will likely serve you well.
If you have wide feet, bunions, Morton's toe or some other malady, you might want to look for the wide version, or step up to a shoe with a wider toe box.
In either case, by careful when sizing and consider going a half size or more larger than your normal street shoe size.

They are well made and tough. Mine show little wear after over 40 miles of hard racing. The shrinkage issue is bothersome however, so take great care when sizing, especially if you plan to get them repeatedly wet.

1 comment:

  1. I have ran in the Alvord 10 for a while now. They seem to do pretty well on the trail or road for the most part. I had first purchased them to wear at work due to their dark color. Now tons of miles later they are still going, but starting to wear and pull apart on the front. Overall, they are an okay shoe to run in and I highly do not recommend using them excessively on pavement.

    ReplyDelete