Monday, September 17, 2012

PentaHexathlon

This started out as a suggestion from a friend of mine who was doing it was some guys on a fitness forum. It started out as a Pentathlon (5 events), but my son and I added a sort of half event. The main 5 are: Pushups, sit-ups, broad jump, sit and reach and a 1 mile run. My son and I added a "fast lap" 1/4 mile sprint to the mix. Since the fast lap could be in conjunction with the mile time, I'm not it qualifies as a separate event... but maybe. You be the judge.

The idea behind this is to retest after a period of time, typically 2 or 3 months (we chose 2) to map your progress.

Rules:
Events can be run in any order, but must be in the same work-out session. i.e. no doing pushups one day and sit-ups the next, or running the mile in the morning and doing the rest an hour later. Try to limit rest in-between exercises to no more than 2-3 minutes.

Pushups:
Max pushups in 2 minutes, rests must be in the up position. Downward dog rest is OK. If you take a knee or rest on the down, you're done.

Sit-ups:
Max sit-ups in 2 minutes, rests in the up position. Body must come full vertical (no crunches). Feet can be braced under an object. Arm position is your choice, but no momentum swinging.

Broad Jump:
Measure from tip of foot in start to rear of furthest back heel on landing.
1 mile run:
Pretty self explanatory. Run one mile for time.

Fast lap:
Run your quickest 1/4 mile, or one lap. Can be combined with 1 mile run. My watch doesn't have a lap feature, so I run this separately.

Sit & Reach:
Toes are 0. Anything past toes is positive, i.e..e 1.5" (or centimeters if you're into that sort of thing). Anything before the toes is negative. You can make a simple box to do this, which is helpful if you're in the negative area. I put a tape measure on a speaker box I have that's just the right size. I also do this with my shoes off, and therefor save it for last.

My initial numbers back on July 12th, 2012:
Vitals: Wade, M, 38, 6' 2", 182 lb.

Pushups 49
Sit ups 40
Broad jump 6' 9"
1 mile 8:30
Reach + 5/8"

*note we hadn't  instituted the Fast Lap at this time.

Retest on  September 16th, 2012:
Vitals: Wade, M, 38, 6' 2", 182 lb.

Pushups 53 (+4)  
Situps 52 (+12) 
Broad jump 6' 5" (-4") 
Mile 7:50 (-:40) 
Reach 0 (-5/8") 
Fast Lap 1:31.04



No comments:

Post a Comment