Sunday, April 14, 2013

MOW - Crock Pot chicken cacciatore

MOW, the Meal Of the Week.

As I've mentioned before, to keep a firm grip on my diet, I bring my lunch to work everyday. I also make sure it's something prepared by me and with fresh and good for you ingredients. To further that process, I generally spend Sunday afternoon or evening making up a big batch of something for my son and I to eat during the work/school week.

A current favorite of mine is chicken cacciatore made in a Crock Pot. It's a simple, delicious and good for you.

Ingredients:

3 large chicken breasts, cut into 1" or so pieces.
1 lb. thick sliced fresh mushrooms.
1 red onion.
3 large tomatoes, chopped.
2 cloves garlic, minced.
1/4 cup flour.
2 T. olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
2 T. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried basil.
1/2 tsp. dried oregano.
1/2 tsp. dried thyme.
Salt and pepper to your liking.

Combine all ingredients, EXCEPT chicken, mushrooms and onion in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together.
Layer the bottom of the Crock Pot with the chopped onions and place the chicken on top. Dump in the mushrooms and spice/tomato mixture. For no particular reason, I put in half the 'shrooms, then the mix and then the rest of the fungi.
Crock on low for 8 hours. I've let it go as long as 11, with no problems. If you're in a hurry, you could crock on high for 4-5.


Chicken over the onion. Crock about half full.

Whisked up goodness.

Might look like a lot of mushies, but it works out.

Finito!

Serve over pasta...

Or roll up in a tortilla for lunch.

This typically will make enough for my son and I to eat for dinner Sunday night, and for lunch for the rest of the week. Adding a salad or piece of fruit rounds it out nicely.

Pro tip: If you're going to do lunches, drain the water that accumulates the first couple of days to help avoid soggy tortillas.



No comments:

Post a Comment