Thursday, May 17, 2012

Spartan Race Pre-Game

For a complete "what to bring" checklist, click here!

Where to begin? The beginning I suppose.

Leading up to the event I didn’t do a whole lot different than I’d been doing. Jonathan’s training was invaluable and I couldn’t imagine going in to something like this “cold”. We did step up the cardio a bit the week before and I also didn’t drink a drop of liquor the week before. I started really hydrating Thursday and Friday. On Friday night I had a really light dinner of Sushi and just before bed a Virgin Mary to up my vegetables and salts. I went over my checklist of stuff I wanted to bring or do at the race and packed my bag. I showered and weighed myself (187 which is about 1.5lbs heavier than usual) went to bed around 11, setting my alarm for 6:45.

At about 5:45, Saturday morning, the dogs woke me up and I couldn’t get back to sleep. My mind was on the race of course. I got up and ate 2 eggs a little bacon and some toast with coffee. I figured I didn’t want to alter my morning intake too much. I don’t usually eat toast, but thought the extra carbs might come in handy. Took some coffee on the road with me and headed out. I also pounded another glass or 2 of water on the way out the door.

Driving down I started to feel the ‘gotta pee’ urge so figured I was pretty well hydrated. Getting on to the Army base was simple and traffic and parking was much lighter than I expected. I showed up 2 hours early, and even taking my time, that was much too early. An hour would’ve been plenty.

In the parking lot I went over my checklist and got my stuff sorted out. I debated whether or not to wear a T-shirt and ultimately decided against it. It was already hot out and I knew I’d be getting wet and muddy. This worked out to my benefit. Checking the paperwork I see that it says I should have my number written on me by the time I get to check-in. I didn’t have a marker (figured they’d have them at check-in, which they did BTW) and knew I wasn’t going to be able to write on myself very well, so I sought out a group of racers in the parking lot.

4 dudes and a girl (this turns out to be about the M to F ratio of racers) and they hook me up. The guy had a marker that was supposed to write on oily surfaces, but with all my sunscreen I put it to the test. My number was 1618 and we wrote it on my right calf, left and right forearm, chest, back, both hands and under my eyes. I chose the high cheeks rather than the forehead. You write your age on your left calf, which is handy when you’re looking around at other people. “Man that chick is hot! Oh, 17. My mistake.” ;)

I head back to the car and get ready to go to the race area. I grab my gloves and stick them in my pocket. I debate on either leaving my stuff in the car or checking my bag. Bag check is $5 and I figure no one is going to be stupid enough to start going through cars on base, so I leave it and stash the keys. I pound some more water (really gotta pee now), take 2 Advil for good measure and head to the bus stop. I’m wearing some Under Armor “heat” shorts with built in panties as I don’t want to wear any cotton underwear. I’ve never worn anything like this but it seems OK. I have my Mechanix gloves and 2 Advil in the left pocket, my Nike trainers with short socks, my small water bottle with lanyard and my waiver. I decided to wear my watch and my “survival” bracelet, just to see how they fared. That’s it. Never been so naked, in public, in my entire life.

On the ride to the fair grounds I don’t talk to anyone on the bus. I’m starting to feel the butterflies in my stomach and wishing I had a buddy to race with me. I get off, breeze through registration and immediately make a bee line for the port o’ potty. I start checking out the place and trying to figure out what’s what. It’s just before 9, so I got to see the first (AKA competitive) heat start.

I wander around the place and see the dudes with the pugil sticks in their Spartan gear and chat with them for a minute. Then end up talking with a Japanese dude that totally reminds me of my friend "Cowboy" for awhile. He’s a former Marine and his wife is running in the first heat. We’re looking at the fire pit and he says “They usually don’t build up and a mound like that”, so I say “You’ve run this before?”, “Oh, yeah a few times.” “Why not today?”, “It’s too tough on my knees anymore.”, I say, “I’ve never done it. In fact this is my first obstacle race ever.” Here he turns to look at me and says “You sure picked a hell of a one to start with.” At this point I start really getting butterflies. The front runners are coming around the last few obstacles now and I get the scoop on Hobie, from my new friend.

Apparently Hobie wins the Spartan all the time. In fact he’s running it with a 10lb. vest on, just ‘cause. But what’s this? Some other guy comes over the last hill first. “Cowboy” (never got my new buddy’s real name) informs me that anyone who beats Hobie gets a $500 bounty. New guy hits the traverse wall and slips off. If you fail an obstacle you have to do 30 burpees. He starts doing them and it’s pretty obvious he is worn the hell out at this point. While he’s doing them Hobie gets to the wall and starts going across, very slowly. This is going to be close. Hobie doesn’t slip and manages to pass the kid and wins with an official time of 53 minutes and change. Other dude finishes 22 seconds later.

At this point I have about 30 minutes until my heat. I pop 2 more Advil, for extra good measure, get my bracelets on (one to get in and out of the fair grounds and one with the timing chip in it) and attach my bib to the left side of my shorts. I meander over to the start, check myself over, put on my gloves and start warming up. There’s a stage right there and some yoga chicks go through a warm-up thing for us and the MC gets on the PA and starts riling everyone up and getting us all psyched. Then the gate opens. Arooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment