Monday, August 13, 2012

Gear Review - Under Armour 6" Tactical training shorts

I picked up a pair of UA's HeatGear Tactical 6" shorts in basic black for racing. The are as light as it gets and wick away the moisture of obstacle racing very well. The idea being I want as little drag as possible, so nothing cotton can travel with me.

I cringed a bit at the price tag (they retail for about $40 in my area and I was pressed for time), but figured I'd give them a shot. I was a little hesitant at my first race with them, as I'd never worn this type of shorts with their built in "panties". I'd also never run an obstacle race before, so the fear of me baring myself to the world in full glorious nudity gnawed at my mind a bit.

But I cinched them up tight and went for it in true minimalist style with shorts, no shirt, short socks and shoes. They stayed on perfectly and nakedness was never an issue. They dry out quickly on the run portions and never feel bogged down with water or mud and clean up well. At the Spartan I snagged them on some barbed wire, and figured they'd come apart in the wash, but after 3 races and a handful of training days, the material has held even under things like the long slide at Run For Your Lives. I figure maybe the "tactical" name comes from the rip stop type material they are made of.

To sum up. Great shorts for obstacle training. Light, durable, comfortable and well worth the money.

1 comment: