Monday, July 30, 2012

Gear Review: Injinji Outdoor Toe Socks

I picked up a pair of Injinji Outdoor SeriesToesock to try out on my last backpacking trip. The marketing behind them states: "Individual anatomical toe sleeves form a thin anti-blister membrane between toes to eliminate skin-against-skin friction". Sounds good to me. While I don't often get blisters, it's been known to happen. Plus with my heavy boots I usually wear an "under sock" under my thicker wool socks, and I was in need of getting some modern material to replace the cotton socks I usually wear. I figured these under my wool socks would be a great combo.

I should point out, I've never worn toe socks before. In fact I don't even wear flip-flops or really have experience with anything between my toes. These were a little strange to get on and at first felt like "one size fits none", but I did my best with my crooked feet and toes.

The material (70% wool/25% nylon/5% spandex) is fantastic and feels great on my feet. Our first leg of the hike was 2 miles in mild to moderate terrain, with steady ups and downs. Not more than a half mile in I start to notice some irritation between certain toes. Not every toe, and not the same ones on each feet, but seemingly random spots on both sides. After about a mile I start fixating on it and it becomes bothersome. Soon it seems to concentrate between my big and 2nd toe mostly and on my pinky and it's brother.

By the time we get to the main camp, I'm anxious to get these things off my feet. As I get my boots and over socks off, the Injinis have settled perfectly into place on my feet and don't seem to have twisted or moved to cause the discomfort. The problem seems to reside with just having material between my toes. With them off and a fresh pair of cotton socks on, me feet feel better, but I can still feel the irritated spots walking around camp. By morning the discomfort was gone and I didn't opt to wear them for the 2nd 4 mile leg of harder hiking. If I had to go farther than the 2 miles to base camp, I think I would have had to bring the party to a halt to switch them out.

Crooked toes and bunions need not apply.


In short, these socks are not for me. Maybe for people who rock things like Vibram Fivefingers shoes or the like, they might be great. I'm currently trying to find an alternate use for mine, but no ideas have come to me yet. Maybe I'll try to wear them around the house without boots to see if the problem persists just for fun. I will say, again, I love the material and feel of them (besides the obvious stated above) and they are well made socks to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment