Saturday, August 18, 2012

Tips and tricks for obstacle racing

Allow me to share with you a few things I've learned running on the obstacle race circuit. Also be sure to check out my race checklist for more tips on what to bring. This post will focus more on the race experience itself.

  • Train regularly. This doesn't have to be "race training" with tons of miles running endless laps around your local track. Just work out 4-5 days a week. Don't expect to start training a week before a race and do well. Make being fit an everyday part of your life. Cross-fit type training is great. Throw in some high intensity cardio, jump rope, boxing, running etc. and you'll be good to go.
  • Practice explosive movements. Jumping, high and fast. Plyometrics. Learn to be quick and strong.
  • Upper body strength. This is more important on tougher races like Spartan, but isn't going to hurt you anywhere. Think pull-ups, rope climbs, monkey bars.
  • Get some good gear. Sure you can run in a pair of old tennis shoes and cut off jean shorts, but getting quality gear goes a long way.
  • Run the first heat. This is huge if you want to be competitive, and absolutely necessary in some races to be eligible for trophies. Many people are intimidated by the first heat (I was), but it's the way to go.
  • Commit to the obstacle. Your best bet to pass people, especially the hard core runners, is to complete the obstacles quickly and cleanly, but...
  • Know when to take your time! I've botched some "easy" balance obstacles by rushing too much. This is especially important for races that invoke penalties for failing.
  • Steady pace wins the race. Most of those guys who charge full blast right out the gate will be walking at the first hill. Race smart, know your pace and keep it steady. You'll be passing those guys soon.
  • Prepare. Don't drink 6 beers the night before the race. I try not to drink alcohol for at least a week prior to a race and I start to pre-hydrate and carboload 2-3 days before the run. Clear your head and focus on the task ahead.
  • Run down the damn hills! I can't believe how many people I see walking on downhill sections. Yeah, you're tired, but it's not that much more difficult to run downhill.
  • Push yourself. There's nothing more frustrating than missing a placement by 10 seconds. If only you'd "insert tried harder detail here", you'd have placed 3rd! That said, don't kill yourself out there either.
  • Breath from your gut. You distance runners know this, but I learned it the hard way. In fast paced races with obstacles, it's common to breathe shallow and get a stitch in your side. If you feel it coming on, take some breaths from your diaphragm.
  • Don't alter your routine. If you don't normally do something, don't do that before a race. I don't normally drink energy drinks. Before the Muddy Buddy I decided to drink one. I felt "off" the whole race with serious nervous butterflies in my stomach. Not fun. On the other hand, if you drink coffee every morning, do so on race day as well. Otherwise you may feel very tired. I know I do.
  • Embrace the suck. I often ask myself, at around the first mile mark, "WTF am I doing out here?". Embrace it, push through and get your mind right. Inevitably you'll get that rhythm or 2nd wind soon after the suck phase. Don't stop, never quit, it's worth it at the end.
  • Wait for a Groupon, Google offers, Living Social, Black Friday, etc. deal. Signing up a full year in advance for Spartan, at $40, was more expensive than their Groupon deal 6 months later. Unless you have to run a certain race and a certain heat, bide your time. They want to fill up spots, so deals are out there if you look and are patient. 
  • Have fun! Hey, I know this post sounds rough and all "Go, go go!", but that's because that's how I motivate myelf. Don't forget to have some fun out there. Meet some people. Run with a friend. Stick around and swap stories with other racers in the fairgrounds. If you see me, buy me a beer. ;)
I hope this had been somewhat informative. Hopefully it has helped you in some small way to get a better finish at your next race. If you've some tips and/or tricks or your own, drop me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment